Saturday, December 19, 2009

Good Times, Good Break.....

I have to say mostly good times though. It's been a busy couple of weeks. First the Polar Express debacle, the next week our giant Christmas Party and this week time in Tacoma. We went to my friend Carl's memorial service. I'll go down the line and fill you in.

Polar Express, read posts below. Nuff said......

The Christmas Party was a success. It ran from 3 to 8. We invited about 120 people and had about 100 show. It's an open house format so all 100 aren't here at once. The kids ran wild, the food came and left with the people (it was potluck) and everyone had a good time. Everyone (except one) left before 8. We had one friend who stayed late. I didn't really catch that their kids didn't have school the next day and I was having fun catching up. Bob was cleaning up and I didn't want to slow him down. The next thing I know it's 10:30 the kids are still up and I have had one (or two) too many glasses of wine. Yikes!!!!! Go to bed kids, you have school tomorrow!!! The kids go to bed and so do I..... It's been another successful party. Monday was a little tough on us all but we made it.

Our week bumped along. The kids' excitement about the holidays seems to grow exponentially with each passing day. I don't know how their teachers deal with all these hopped up kids, but they do. It was hard enough dealing with 3 kids.

Our family packed up and headed north for Friday night to go to my friend Carl's memorial service. I still can't believe he is gone. We stayed with mom and Ed along with my brother Rex and sister-in-law Tina. We left town around 4:00 so we had a good portion of the evening to share with family.

At about 8:45 Bob realized that he had left his suit hanging on the back of our door.....at home. He had on jeans and a short sleeve shirt, that was not going to cut it. Luckily Kohl's is open until midnight and they had suit on sale. AND....they had Bob's size. That was lucky. We pulled together a suit for him and were home by 10. He got all black...jacket, pants, shirt and tie. He looked like Johnny Cash.

The memorial service was on Saturday at 11 at the same church where Bob and I got married. It was so strange to be there under those circumstances. We explained to the kids that it was imperative that they behave for this service. To encourage their good behavior we bought them bribes. Hot Wheels trucks for the boys and a Webkin horse for Sophia. I am not above a good bribe. Bob wanted to put the kids in the cry room but I insisted that they be in the sanctuary. I think that kids need to learn to behave in various circumstances and this was one of those times. To their credit they were good, REALLY good. They earned their bribes.

The service was so Carl. It started out with a 6 piece brass band playing New Orleans style jazz. It made me smile. There were lots of stories about Carl and about his character. He was involved in so many things and loved by so many people. I laughed, I cried but mostly I remembered my friend and felt lucky to have known him for so long. He was like another dad to me. There was a beautiful slide show with music and in the middle of it was a recording of Mary, Carl's wife of 41 years reading words that Carl dictated on November 25th of this year. She read the following;

I thank God for hastening us to life. I thank God for summoning us to a celebration of the senses. I thank God for the sun and the moon and the glory of the heavens, the majesty of nature, man's power to know and reason, the incredible beauty of great art and music that penetrates the soul, the wonder and mystery of the unknown which keeps us striving, the gift of friendship and the power that draws us together in the community of spirit, a family that allows us security, warmth and pleasure of the fireside.

More specifically, I'd like to thank our friends and loved ones who took care of our family during this very difficult time.

It was truly humbling to see the care, the sense of community, the humanity, and the unbridled spirit of giving. We are deeply indebted.

And finally, I thank the incarnate God, Jesus, that came to this earth and died for our sins and delivered us to eternal life.

-Carl Francis Loovis-

Carl was a great man.

I saw lots of people I hadn't seen in ages. It was nice to catch up with them. We all shared Carl stories and laughed. Most Carl stories are pretty funny.

And now we are home. The house is all decorated, the refrigerator is full, gifts are purchased (not wrapped yet) and we are ready for Christmas. Mom and Ed are coming on Christmas Eve and we will all share Christmas Dinner with friends. This next week will be a busy one. Bob is off starting on Wednesday until January 4th. Mom and Ed come, then we're road tripping to the Great Wolf Lodge for Coulter's Birthday, Dad and Sally will meet up with us there, then Bob's parents come to town for 5 days. A two day respite and then the kids go back to school. Winter Break...yeah right! We're looking forward to seeing all our parents and to all the festivities of these holidays.

May you find peace in these next two weeks. Merry Christmas to all and to all a GREAT BREAK!!!!!!

No comments: