Monday, February 18, 2013

A Few Weekends Ago...


It's been a quick one over here.  Friday, Bob and I stayed up LATE.  We watched a movie and then sat up talking until about 1 am.  What's wrong with me?  I am not in college any more....sheesh.  Saturday we did a few things around the house and then boys had basketball at NECC, one after the other.  

Bob is coaching Kees' team and they were up first.  This is the cutest league, I swear.  The baskets are adjustable so they are set at about 7 feet.  I am pretty sure I could slam-a-dunk on one of these.  I'd be all, "In your face you 5-7 year old!"  Oh, that's not a pretty picture.  Kees' is one of the biggest kids out there and one of the best.  It is for kindergarten and 1st grade.  I know it seems like it's not a big gap but when you are just 5 playing a 7-1/2 year old, it's a big diff.  

Coach Earl heads up the program for all the levels.  This man is the closest thing Portland has to a super hero.  He has been doing this forever and attends every practice and every game.   That is 6 nights per week!  And he loves it.  I have never seen him mad and have only seen his love of the kids and the game.  He is amazing.  If one team is stomping on the other he'll stop the game and get everyone to back up so the loosing team can shoot (and make) a basket.  He lets them shoot until one goes in.  In his games, everyone has a victory!  There is no score (though the kids always know a score) and there is lots of learning.  It is great fun to watch.

Coulter's team played right after Kees' team.  Last year Coulter was all over the place.  He was more likely to be waving at me than playing basketball.  He was hit with the ball a few times last year when someone would pass him the ball and he hadn't been paying attention.  Not this year, he's a different kid!  He is all over his "person", he is shooting and making baskets and he's paying attention to his team mates.  I have really enjoyed watching his growth as an athlete.  He scored a few baskets and was all smiles.  Goodness I love that kid.

At the end of the game he got ready to go to a play with a buddy.  They were going to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe at the NW Children's Theater.  We dropped him off and then got ready for the next event.....COMEDY NIGHT!

Comedy Night is a fund raiser for our school.  We have a comedian that was a parent at BCS and volunteered to set this up and he's been doing it for 3 years now.  Unfortunately for us, his son is now at a different school.  We'll have to see what happens from here on out.  Anyway...

3 families decided that we'd let the kids babysit each other.  I brought pizza and the other families brought dessert and beverages.  And, as it turns out, they all had a great time.    

I had a table with 3 other couples so we didn't have to worry about where we would sit but we did want to get there early so we could order food and drinks.  We had an hour to wait for the show so there was lots of time to chat.  Right before the show started Art (the former  BCS parent / comedian) came to me and informed me that one of our comedians was in Atlanta.  He forgot about us.  On the plus side, a local comedian showed up and was willing to assist.  God bless her!  The show was fun, there were LOTS of laughs and we raised a little money.  It was great fun!

When we got home, stupid night guys took over and Bob and I stayed up until 1 AGAIN!  Morning guy was not happy about that decision!  

So Sunday I slept in for a bit, went for a nice long walk with a friend and then had to prep for......Sophia's 12th birthday party.  She had a few friends from school for a sleep over.  I made her cake and prepped for her request of a pasta bar.  Those 8 girls ate 3 lbs of pasta!  I couldn't believe it.  I had Alfredo Sauce, a cheese sauce, pesto and a marinara.  They were in heaven.  

The party was pretty free form.  They all ran from room to room just playing.  At one point they all came up and decided it was time for gifts so that's what they did.  Later they watched Brave.  And finally they played hide and seek.  It's pretty cute to see a bunch of preteen girls playing like little kids.  It was very cute.  There was little to no drama and I think everyone had fun!

I went to bed at midnight and insisted they do the same.  Last time they stayed up all night and were all a wreck for days.  Not this time.  They went to bed right after I did.  

I was sleeping soundly when Coulter woke me up at 2:30 to inform me that he just threw up.  He and Kees were having a sleep over in our room because they couldn't sleep in the basement with the girls.  It only seemed fair.  Yep, he sure did throw up, all over his blankets.  At least it wasn't on the floor.  Bob put all his blankets wadded up in his room.  We couldn't take barfy blankets to the laundry, that's close to where the girls were.  I set Coulter up in the closet so he could be near the bathroom in case he got sick again.  He did and I was glad he was contained.  

When I got up this morning I listened to the inauguration on the radio and got ready to feed the masses again.  Breakfast was apples, sausage and pancakes.  Thank goodness I had the foresight to cook the sausage in advance!  It all went off well.  The girls cleaned up their stuff and were all gone by 11:15.  

Today I am getting my house back in order and taking care of a sick boy.  He looks terrible but he doesn't have a fever and he hasn't thrown up in a while.  We'll see how he does.  Man, I hope he didn't pass that nastiness off to anyone else!  Yuck.

So it's been pretty busy around here although fairly standard for the Leeks house.  I hope Sophia had fun and that Coulter is feeling better.  Kees and Sophia are playing together right now.  I love that they're pals.  I am going to take it easy this after noon.  I need a bit of down time.

No comments: