Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cleaning.....?

So a couple weeks ago I was being a solo parent for a couple days. My husband was out of town on business. To add to the confusion and frustration I thought, "Hey, I'll pack the kids up and go to my moms.....by myself." Sophia was off at a camp and the boys were home and playing together. All was going fairly well. I start packing. Oh crap, today is the day the housekeepers come. You know how you are supposed to clean the house before the housekeeper comes? I hadn't done it. If you were to look at my house you would think I did the opposite. Well it's too late at this point. My housekeeper shows up and, God bless her, says, "Don't worry about it." I don't. Well I can't at this point. Now, while packing, I am going to have to keep the boys out of the way. I tell them to play outside. They do. So I go back to packing the car.

Pack, pack, pack, check on the boys, pack, pack, pack, check on the boys, repeat. Wait, where are the boys? I run upstairs to find them. They are there, I send them back outside. They had been up there chatting it up with the housekeepers. The housekeepers asked me a couple questions, finished the upstairs and then moved downstairs. Great! I moved the boys back outside and continue with my packing and checking on the boys routine.

20 minutes pass and it's the time in the routine for me to check on the boys. Kees, check......where's Coulter? He's not outside, he's not in the basement, I yell, "Cooouulteeeeer." I go up stairs. He still isn't answering me. I see a shadow moving under the bathroom door. Coulter.... I open the door and he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. He has a rag in one hand and hair spray in the other. I look around and ask, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" He starts to cry, "I was cleaning." I am PISSED! He has sprayed hairspray all OVER the bathroom. Seriously, on the floor, on the cabinets, in the bathtub, on the mirror, IN THE CABINETS, all over the toilet.....everywhere. It was even on the ceiling. He's only 3 1/2 feet tall. How did he do that? I yell, "You are in time OUT! What were you thinking? What were you doing?" He knew this was bad. He's crying, I tell him I am really mad and that he needs to be away from me in time out. (Actually, now writing this maybe I needed the time out.) Anyway, he had seen the housekeeper spraying and wiping and was "helping." I can tell you, by the look on his face when I found him he knew he was doing something wrong. So he goes to the time out spot and I clean the bathroom AGAIN. Damn, 10 minutes ago it was perfect and now it's a sticky, icky mess. The only thing that saved me is that I found it before the hairspray dried. Can you imagine what a mess THAT would have been?

So, if you are ever bored you should get yourself a 4 year old boy. It's not always as messy or sticky but it is always interesting.

No comments: