Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Mother of Three; Privilege or Punishment....Mostly Privilege

Well this is the first of many to come.....I think. Being a mother of 3 is interesting, challenging, frustrating, rewarding, joyful, maddening and a true privilege. There are days that I love my job and there are days when I want to resign even though that is not an option. Any mom who says that every day is a walk in the park is a friggin' lier.

When your 3 year old (who knows better) poops all over himself and then cries because he is "dirty" it is not a great time. When your 7 year old has just come home from a weekend at the beach and then whines because she is now bored it is not a great time. And when your 4 year old goes in after the housekeeper already has cleaned and "cleans" the bathroom with hair spray, that is NOT a great time. Of course it all balances out when they tell you they love you, they make you a special art gift or of course, when they are sleeping. Man they are beautiful when they sleep. Maybe that is because at that moment all their indiscretions are washed away and the only thing you can see is your beautiful baby and all their potential. This is just the universes way of sucking you in and getting you to recommit each day to the job that you have to do. The privilege, the pain and everything in between.

So today I feel lucky to be the mother of 3. Actually, even when I am ranting about my frustrations, I usually have a smirk on my face as I type. I know that when I read my rant I will laugh. Most of the things that I write would be hilarious if it happened to someone else. So I write them for the people that my kids will be someday and the mom that will forget the hard / funny times when the kids were little. I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast today let alone who did what when. I have to write it down so I can keep my stories straight and remember the details. Today I am wild about my kids both internally and externally. Check back soon because on the surface I may feel differently then.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You knew I would "comment."
I know those 3 children of yours, and because it is not happening to me I think it is all hilarious!! Especially the way you tell the stories. Keep on blogging, girl!
Rebecca, mother of Clara, whose 17-year-old indiscretions are not nearly as "cute." Someday soon you will be at THIS end of it...looking back...glad you wrote it all down.

EmptyNester said...

Remember when the biggest problem was how to Sophia to eat? Bigger kids, bigger problems...and as far as I can see, it doesn't stop at 21! Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Stephanie Larson said...

Hi Heath, Thanks for sharing. I always smile when I read your notes. I wish I had been smart enough to write all that stuff down, I was good for about the 1st 6 months of my 1st child's life, but then lost it after that. It is all a blur except for the pictures.
I can hardly wait to read about your exploits when all of your kids are in sports and you have to be 3 places at once, all in different towns. We only have 2 to keep up with and that is often a challenge... It's all good though, and it is over in the blink of an eye.
Keep keepin on...