Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Game of Life....

Tonight we had game night. We played the game of Life. Sophia had played with a friend last week and when I told her, "We have that game!" She was thrilled.

So tonight after dinner I went and got it. We set it up, we kind of checked the rules (it's been a while since I played) and started the game. Sophia, Coulter and I played on our own and Kees and daddy were a team. Kees picked a car, put in a couple people and started driving it all over the place. We tried to ignore him but he was a bit of trouble. We pressed on.

Sophia was pretty into it. She wanted to win. Along the way she learned a little about stocks, insurance and paying taxes. Coulter was, as usual, hilarious. Everytime he'd spin the spinner he'd throw his hands in the air and yell, "WAHOOO!" and start moving his car. We'd give him his money and take his taxes. He had no idea what was happening but he was having a blast. Kees....he drove his car all over the board and "helped" daddy.

In the end I ended up winning, which is of course AWESOME! But more importantly, Sophia didn't win and didn't cry. She's coming along. In the past if she didn't win it was all tears. I was really proud of her. Coutler left the table as soon as the game was over. As usual, he was in it during the game but the moment it was over he was off to the next thing. Ahhhh...he didn't win, not even close. But as usual, in Coulter's way, he did win because he had fun. And Kees, I am not sure he even knew it was a game. He may think we were all driving cars around roads together. I guess we kind of were.

So we are finally getting to the place where we can have game night. I love playing games and I am really looking forward to the next of many to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all about games with our 6 year-old. We'll play Clue Jr, Scattegories, Uno, etc. and have a blast until bedtime. Then she'll cry and say "we didn't do anything I wanted to do!" Loosly translated this means we didn't do pretend play, which I'm in agreement with you Heather is not my cup of tea either.

I wish she'd like tennis so we can all play, but she's in the "I don't like tennis" mode. I hope she grows out of that stage, but she may not. Speaking of tennis... I'm still trying to get us the courts for next Thursday. Hope I can!

Beegu and I walked by but no activity at the Leeks house this afternoon. See you soon, Becky

Laura Lou said...

I love game night. We try to do it as often as we can (though that isn't too much as I lose patience with the kids by night time). The kids love Life, Uno, Apples to Apples, Yatzee and Clue. We've tried scrabble, but are still having a hard time with that one and spelling bigger words than three letters long. Monopoly is always tried and failed. One of these days we'll get it into our ignorant heads how it is played. Good times!!