Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama From a Kids Point of View


So my kids have been very aware of the presidential campaign and now the change of hands of the government. We have talked about voting and why it's important. I don't think they will ever take it lightly. I explained that we as Americans (BOB....GET ON BOARD!) have the power to change the course of history by voting. And that if you don't vote you don't have a right to criticize. That you are responsible for how things go by how you vote. We all need to know that is not only a right but a responsibility. I think my kids in their little way understand. As a matter of fact, Sophia and I went through the issues and candidates together and she helped me vote.

Yesterday Sophia and Coulter were in school. Lots of kids stayed home during the inauguration. I had a party to go to and I thought that we should all be with our peer groups to share in the experience. Both Sophia and Coulter were able to watch the ceremony in their respective places, with their friends and from their different perspectives. Kees sat on my lap at the party. Upon seeing Barack Obama Kees yelled, "It's Orock Obama momma!" He was very excited.

Sophia came home and reported about her day. Some of the moms created an environment of excitement by bringing popcorn and lemonade and making it a special time. One of them even brought a card board cut out of Obama. Sophia thought it was real and was VERY surprised to see the president at her school. After watching the inauguration she reported to me that, "We got to see the president swear. He messed up when he was swearing. Ha ha ha ha" We laughed together that even the most important people in the world mess up and do it in front of EVERYONE! And if ever there was a time where more people were watching one event I'd be surprised.


Coulter
was asking if Barack Obama will be president tomorrow. I told him that yes, he would be and that he'll be president for a long time. "How long mom?" I told him that he'll be president for at least the next 4 years and quite possibly for 8 years, and that he'll be 13 then....almost in high school. Coulter's eyes got big and he was very interested. He couldn't believe that someone could be president sooooo long. That is like, forever.

So they are all on board. They're excited because everyone around here is excited. I believe that this presidency will change the course of our country and history. I am hopeful for Barack's vision and for our country's future. The fact that volunteerism is being called on and that we all need to participate in our country's progression is exciting to me. When you are invested in moving things forward you feel a sense of pride and ownership. We are really missing that as a collective whole. Now is the time.


So that was our day. We are all excited and looking to a better, brighter future.

No comments: