Saturday, May 1, 2010

I Am a Lucky Girl

I have written about my trip to the Bahamas. It was wonderful and I loved being there by myself. You should have seen peoples faces when I said that I was there alone...they were totally confused. I thought it was great!

When I take these times to myself I always reflect and see what I take away. This time the theme that comes to me over and over again is how lucky I am. Yes, I am lucky that I got to go to the Bahamas but honestly, given the same players, I would have felt lucky to go to the South Pole. The sun and sand was secondary to my friends and relaxing. Yes, it's beautiful there but I love my friends more.

I stayed in a fancy suite at the Cove. I felt honored to be taken care of so well. I loved the room but again, I felt their love. Upon arrival I was whisked off by a town car to meet my friends for a concert. They took great care to make sure I was all set up to meet them. The concert was great but my friends were better.

It makes me smile all around to think about the whole week. The dinners were amazing, the hotel, fabulous, the weather, wonderful, our conversations, fun and tantalizing and the over all experience made me feel so honored. Honored that I am included, honored that I am so well taken care of, honored that we could all gather together after 20 years and I still feel so close to these people. It was amazing.

And then there are my home peeps.... I feel just as honored by everyone at home. I have this amazing group of friends and family that took care of my family while I was gone. I had an excel spread sheet showing all the pick ups, drop offs, classes, hand offs and babysitting over the course of the week. Bob made fun of me for putting this together but I am the momma. It's my job to make sure that my cubs are well taken care of and that no one is forgotten even when I am 3000 miles away. I succeeded in that only because I have such a wonderful group of friends here at home that pitched in and covered me. And the beautiful thing is I would do it for them at the drop of a hat. I love the community we live in and what we have created for our selves here. Friends take work, care, communication and give and take. I have worked hard to create these friendships and they have too. We are bonded together as a family so we have to take care of each other, and we do. Being away makes these bonds even stronger because you have to trust in your heart that it's all getting done. And it did get done. No one was forgotten and everyone was well cared for. As a matter of fact, I think my kids had more fun while I was gone. They barely noticed I was missing. I like to think that was because I planned so well but the truth is it's because my friends cared and made my kids feel welcome and cared for.

So I am a lucky girl. My friends are top priority (just behind my family) and this has worked well for all of us. I feel most honored because I know my friends love me and my family as much as I love them and their families. This is the case both in the Bahamas and at home or where ever my friends are. And while I call it luck, and some of it is, most of it is love. Love of my friends and their love back. It's shown in a fancy dinner, a play date, a vacation, or taking care of each others kids and families because that's what we do for each other. It is our truth. I am a lucky girl. For all of this I am grateful and will always carry that truth in my heart .

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi Heather, Love your post! You so deserve great friends because you are a great friend yourself! So warm, funny, and caring... there for buddies when we need it. I'd clone you if I could my dear!