Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mother's Day

I know that I went on a special trip and I considered it my real Mother's Day gift. My philosophy on "special" days is that if every day is pretty good then the named days don't have to be spectacular. No, they don't have to be spectacular, but they do have to be noted and addressed.

This Mother's Day I got up to no fan fare and took a shower. We all needed to get ready for church. There was no "Happy Mother's Day" banner, card or word....I can wait. When I got out of the shower Bob came in and said, "The kids have some things for you so let me know when you're ready." I smiled....yeah, they didn't forget. I jumped on the bed and waited. The kids came in bearing their gifts and cards. They did make some paper boxes with big sister's help and I got two bee's wax candles (a pig and a lighthouse), a couple of notes on paper and then a giant card from Bob. So far so good.....

As I was getting ready Bob said he was going to take Sophia to church early so he was leaving. She was going to play her fiddle for the offertory and she needed to practice. Great. As he was leaving he said he was taking the Jeep (the top was off and it was sunny) and then a last comment...."I'm taking Coulter." Off they went. 10 minutes later my mom (she was in for the weekend) and I jumped in the van and headed to church. We were early and went to the front row,, like we always do, and waited for church to start. Bob came up at 5 till and said, "Have you seen Kees?" I said, "No." A moment went by.... Bob shrugged. I said, "He came with you didn't he?" And he said...."No." OH CRAP!!!!! We left him at home! I jumped up and said, "I'll go get him." Shit! I am his mom, it's Mother's Day....HOW COULD I LEAVE MY BABY? As I was walking out Sophia was chasing me saying, "I hope he's OK. I hope he's not crying and scared." NOT HELPING SOPHIA! "Go back and sit down....go, go, GOOOoooo!!!" As if my saying (under my breath), "Jesus Christ....how could this happen?" in the church wasn't blasphemous enough now the whole church is wondering what is happening because my daughter is panicked and chasing me. Damn it....

I jump in the van and zoom home. Of course in my head he is crying and panicked because his family has left him. I am prepared for the worst and hoping he's just sitting there quietly. It takes 20 minutes to get home....OK, it was realy only 3 minutes and he was only alone for about 15 minutes max but it seems like an eternity. I pull in, jump out, unlock the door and say, "Kees?" He says, "Yeah?" I follow his little voice....he's in the office and sitting in front of the computer. He says, "Look at this mom." I say, "Cool....we need to get your shoes on so we're not late for church." He had NO idea that we were gone. None... best case scenario. We get his shoes on and head to church.

I get to church just as it's getting started. Door to door and back to original door it took 6 minutes +/-. Pretty good. He goes down to the nursery to play and has no idea what just happened.

Sophia played really well and received lots of complements and such from the congregation. I received lots of comments and jibes as well but it wasn't for MY great performance....on the contrary. Great mom, eh? And why did that have to happen today of all days? No harm, no foul I say. Actually, I think it's pretty funny really.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. We worked in the garden (Bob did). I made lunch. Later I went to Garden Fever and asked Sophia to go with me. She said, "No." I said, "Please" She said, "I have been waiting for 2 days to play soccer with daddy." I said, "I have been waiting for Mother's Day for a whole year. But you do what you need to do." and I left and went to Garden Fever with my mom. It is a great shop but it was packed and the check out line was about 20 people long. It was fun to look around but I need to go back during the week to get stuff...I am not waiting in a long line.

I later sat in the back yard and crafted while the kids played and Bob planted some things in the garden....I am not allowed to plant stuff because I apparently plant too many things. I only have a small garden...and the plants start out so small.....I can't help it.

For dinner I got pizza and we watched a movie. Coulter whined and screamed, "I do not want to watch that movie." It was about horses. This was about the 5th time that he was whining and screaming for the day. Finally after everyone was seated, the show was started and they were eating, did everyone quiet down. Thank goodness. I got to sit down and watch the movie after the first 10 minutes when everyone had what they wanted.

The kids went to bed, Bob and I went to bed early. It was a fairly non eventful evening.

On Monday Bob said, "I am sorry your Mother's Day was crappy." I told him that it wasn't crappy but that the kids really made it a non event. That it is his job to teach them that it needs to be special just like it's my job to teach them that Father's Day needs to be special. When mommy says, "Go to the store with me" on Mother's Day the response should be, "OK" not whining. He insisted that it was bad so I offered him a do over. Any time (soon) and I shouldn't have to wonder "was that it?" I should just know. We'll see how that goes.

So Mother's Day was eventful in leaving my son at home but other than that...not so much. I didn't complain or really give it much thought but apparently Bob did. We'll see what happens and I'll let you know.

No comments: