Sunday, November 2, 2008

This Has Been the Definition of a Weekend

It's been a busy weekend. Friday night was, of course, Halloween. We started the evening with multicolored cheese pizza. The kids thought that was sooooo cooool. Then I stayed home to hand out candy while Bob took the kids around the 'hood with another dad / kid team, the Wangs. I was glad to be at home alone because Bob was traveling last week while I was here, alone, sick with the kids. So the moment they left I cracked open a bottle of wine and poured my self a glass. And then I waited for some trick-or-treaters, and waited, and waited. I was really disappointed because we only had a few and I really like seeing the kids. I will tell you that the first group was all teenagers. At least they had costumes on. It makes me crazy when a bunch of 16 year olds show up, say their half hearted "Trick or Treat" and then stand there with open hands. Come on....aren't you embarrassed? I am embarrassed for you. Anyway, I could hear them coming up the stairs and then I flipped the switches. We have a smoke machine, blinking lights and scary music with screaming. I heard one of the kids say, "That's not cool man." Ha ha, scared you. I was pretty happy with myself. Our kids were only out for a short time. Kees came home and Sophia and Coulter stayed at the Wang's house for a sleep over. Kees was so happy to be an only child. He ate candy and watched America's Funniest Home Videos with mommy. We laughed, a lot! He got to sleep in our room (with permission) opposed to the rest of the nights where he has to sneak in.

Then yesterday Sophia and I shopped for dinner. We had such a nice time together even though she didn't want to go because it was, "So boring." Ha ha, it wasn't. Score one more for mom. We were having our friends the Stewarts over. It's been a really long time since we did that. We used to do dinner almost every Friday Night. Anyway we were looking forward to seeing our friends again. I ordered 2 lbs of ground lamb and then a 5+ lb lamb shoulder. The guys at the meat counter were like, "Whacha makin'?" They wanted to come over. One of them said, "Lamb two days in a row? You are living large." Pretty funny. So we finished our shopping and headed home. I made dinner, the kids played and before you know it the Stewarts were here. We all had a nice time, the kids all played well and then Gracie stayed for a sleep over. Bob and I stayed up too late but it was fun.

And today we have more friends coming for dinner. We're having braised lamb shoulder....yummy. Their kids were actually here for a few hours earlier today so they could have some grown up time. We had 6 kids running around here and they all had a fine time. I also went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. As I was picking up a bottle of wine I felt like it was Groundhog Day. Wasn't I just doing this yesterday? Yep. So I got more wine and a few other things and back home to make dinner for our friends the Wangs.

Dinner is cooking, the kids are playing, it's grey outside, the TV is on but it's on the Classical Music Station, I am doinking on the computer, this has been a great weekend. We didn't get much done, the house is a mess but sometimes this is what the weekend brings. I am pretty relaxed and just enjoying being in my house with my family doing weekend things.

Have a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I took a bucket of KFC over to my inlaws tonight. Is that the same as making lamb two nights in a row? Damn, you make me look bad, Heather!

PS- I haven't had KFC in 20 years but my step mother-in-law loves it and is really sick so we brought it over. Claire had PBJ, but Mark and I ate it and show no signs of food poisoning and I must say the biscuits were super.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love weekends like that... Hey - why can't WE come over for some fabulous Heather cooking? Oh, that's right - because we moved away. Bad decision.... :)