Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just a Few Things

There are some things about being a mom that are great! There are other things that are not so great. One of the things that is driving me NUTS right now is the following.....

My boys are going through a phase where everything that comes out of their mouths must be preceded with, "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom" It doesn't matter if I am driving, talking on the phone, working on the computer, making dinner, doing laundry, sleeping IT DOESN'T MATTER! And if I don't acknowledge them they just come closer and get louder. They can keep this up for an amazing amount of time. I suppose that this "skill?" will come in handy some day. Maybe as a reporter in the White House pool. "Mrs. President? Mrs. President! Mrs. President? Mrs. President! Mrs. President? Mrs. President!" Yeah, like she wouldn't be annoyed. (And yes, in the future we will realize that we have been wrong all along and understand that as natural multitaskers WOMEN make better Presidents. But that is beside the point.)

Next comes....."Um, mom, guess what." So now I have to say, "What?" Because again, if I don't answer they'll start the repeating routine again. "Mom, mom, mom. Guess what." "Guess what mom." Believe me, by about 8 am I am totally done with, "Guess what."

But that isn't all. Then they bestow upon me their very important information. It is often a factoid like, "Look at that truck over there." or "There are clouds in the sky." or "I went to the Monster Truck Show." Ahhhhh... hello.... I am the one that bought the tickets to that and you went 2 MONTHS AGO! Lot's of times it is information that makes NO sense. "Remember when we were in that dream and it was all blue?" or "Sometimes at school......" and then nothing. Or "I like to play." I try to make sense out of it but really, it hurts my head. Sometimes I even ask, "Coulter, I can't remember your dreams. What happened in it." and he'll say something like, "Why can't you remember??" We go through a lot of those.

Lastly, they have to end the phrase with, "Right mom?" or "Remember mom?" or "Can we mom?" or any other variation that ends in "mom" And I, again have to respond. In this post it doesn't seem like such a big deal. But for me this whole interaction is happening in about 10 seconds. And it is happening over, and over, and over again. By the end of the day I am at my wits end. Can't you just say, "I had fun at school today." Instead of.......

Them - "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, mom"
Me - "What?"
Them - "I went to school today. Right mom?"
Me - "Yep." (We are in the car driving away from the school. The school that I dropped them off at this morning AND picked them up at 2 seconds ago.)

So that is my complaint today. I love them all very much and am glad they want to talk to me. Some day the word "mom" will probably make them sick. They won't want to talk to me. Maybe then they'll start a blog and talk about what a freak their mom is and how she is always trying to get them to talk to her. Until then, I could use a little less conversation baby......

No comments: