Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Break


Yeah it's that time again...............SPRING BREAK. When I was little it meant a week at home with my mom and my brother. As I got older it meant hanging out with my friends. In college it meant going to Mazatlan Mexico. There was a crazy time. Of course between college and kids there was no Spring Break. And now it means going to the Oregon Coast with my kids and husband.

Last year was our first year staying the whole week. It snowed. It snowed the WHOLE time! And our silly kids ran around on the beach bare foot. That is a sign of a true Northwesterner. When we go to the beach we expect rain, wind and cold, NOT SNOW. Last year when there was a moment of sun Sophia would yell, "Quick! Let's go to the beach. It's not even snowing!" If it's sunny and nice that is awesome and really just a bonus because again, we generally expect and accept the worst. And when it comes down to it, this time of year we go to the beach to relax and have family time at a cabin. Last year we beaded. We made trees, necklaces, decorations, bracelets, all kinds of things. We took naps and read stories. It was really great.

This year we are expecting a lot of the same. The weather is taking it up a notch and just raining. We might have one rainless day according to the forecast. And that is fine. This year we are taking 10 yards of felt in a total of 20 different colors. We've been sewing around here. I am taking my sewing machine and we will be sewing. The kids design stuffed animals and I sew them together. We also have burlap, embroidery hoops, embroidery thread and dull needles. Coulter has been sewing at school with burlap and has been loving it. We'll be playing games too. We've been playing games together and the kids love it. We don't really play by the rules or have winners or losers half the time but we do it all together and that is what is important.

For us going to the beach means no home improvement projects, no pressing appointments, it means casual dinners, nap or quiet time each day, reading stories together, playing games, doing crafts but mostly it means playing together as a family. I know that the time where the kids want to hang out with us is limited. I know that this type of Spring Break is short lived and soon the kids will want to be with their friends. I am so grateful that our friends have allowed us to use their cabin to facilitate this great time and that I will have these memories of close, casual and calm family time. For right now I am living only for now. I am really in the moment and loving it.

I hope your Spring Break is full of fun and good times as well.

HAPPY SPRING BREAK!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean "no home improvement projects"??? Why do you think I let you stay there?? JK, I'm glad you are enjoying it. give the kids a sqeeze.

Anonymous said...

...make that a "squeeze."

Laura Lou said...

sounds heavenly and peaceful! Soak up the contentment because it passes all too soon! What wonderful memories for you all!!