Monday, March 23, 2009

Only on the Oregon Coast

The Oregon Coast is much different then any other. Our state has done an amazing job keeping this amazingly beautiful place available to all and keeping it clean. That being said, this time of year it is really cold and often quite windy. You see things on this coast that people in California or Florida would find totally absurd.

On Saturday when we arrived the weather was pretty good. The forecast for the week called for lots of rain so we decided that a little beach time was in order. The first thing that we do when we get to the beach is take off our socks and shoes. Last year it was snowing on the beach and the kids still took off their socks and shoes. The boys had their big dump trucks with them and they love to push them through the surf. So rather then getting their cloths all wet I had them take off their pants. Sophia had on short pants and she's too big to be striping down any longer. So here are my boys running around on the beach in underwear and a tee shirt and Sophia in short pants and a tee shirt while everyone else is wearing winter parkas, hats and gloves. It's hilarious. The cold eventually caught up with them and we headed home to a warm bath. They were out there for almost an hour in their underwear. I couldn't get over it.

The next day we went to the park in between rain showers. There is a tennis court, a basketball hoop, swings and a big play structure. After an hour there it started raining so we packed up and went home. But we were the only ones. There were people playing tennis in a total down pour. Being a (sort of) tennis player I can't imagine playing in the rain but there they were, as if it was a beautiful sunny day. Again, not something you would see in California or Florida.

Oh and yesterday, and this doesn't go along with the last two weather related things but I had to write about it, Kees pooped in the park. Yep, that's what I said. He was playing on the play structure and the next thing I know he's standing there with his pants around his ankles. I said, "Kees, what are you doing?" And he said, "I had to go pee and poop." And I look down and there is a big poop in the sand. "Dam it Kees. Why did you do that?" He says, "I had to go pee and poop." (Duh mom!)Mind you there is a restroom 20 paces from where he was standing. Luckily I had dog poop bags and baby wipes in the car. Every time I think I am done with poop problems someone reminds me that I am not. Thanks Kees.

We have been having a great time here. We have some friends sprinkled around town and have spent some time with them. The kids have been doing crafts, making blanket forts and have been playing really nicely. We went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory on Tuesday and to Cannon Beach on Wednesday. There is a great little toy store there. We've watched lots of movies during the evenings and listened to NPR and music during the day. It's been a really nice week. In a bit we're going back to the beach and renting 3 wheeled, low slung bikes. Coulter was pretty sure he would die if he didn't get to do that. And later today I am going to have a spa day, massage, facial and something called an Eyelash Enhancement. I was pretty sure I would die if I didn't get to do that. Then tonight we're having dinner with friends at their place. I could definitely do this for a couple weeks but Bob has a job and the kids have school. Oh well.....

I hope you are having a great Spring Break as well. Happy SPRING!!!!!!

1 comment:

Becky Chasse said...

So you were the crazy people running around Manzanita beach with no clothes on...

Actually, I'm sorry I missed that sight and we didn't connect. My mom thought I was being very daring letting Claire take off her shoes and socks. She was pretty sure they would fall off with frostbite if she did.

See ya' in a couple of hours!