Monday, February 2, 2009

I Saw Spring's Head!!!


That title sounds like something that my kids would say but in this case, it's mine. Mondays are my day. All 3 kids are in school all day. This gives me about 5 hours to myself. It's amazing how little you can get done in 5 hours.

I got home from drop off at 9:20. I made myself some breakfast, answered a few emails and before I knew it it was 10:30. Why is this time going so fast when other days are an eternity? Get up, load the dishwasher and take the dog for a long walk.

The dog walk is really for me. My current excercise is to run up between 4 and 6 sets of stairs (at about 100 steps apiece) and walk down the Alameda ridge. It's exhausing but a really good work out. Unfortunatly for me, it isn't as exhausting for my dog. She still required a long ball toss session immediately following out walk.

While I was on our walk I saw Spring's head. I have been seeing signs of spring. The daffs are starting to show their greens, crocus are showing their's too but until to day no flowers. I SAW A FLOWER, A SPRING FLOWER!!!!! I am a total sucker for Spring's boastful showing of her colors. For me every year it is a total miracle. I swear it comes sooner each year and I don't mean from global warming. It's probably that I am really looking for it now.

I remember one Spring when I was about 23. I lived in Houston. Contrary to common belief, it gets really cold there in the winter. One day in late Spring I was driving to work and I noticed Spring. It was the strangest thing. I had missed the whole thing. Like when you drive somewhere and when you arrive you don't remember how you got there, you were just on auto pilot. I couldn't believe I had missed it, the whole thing. How could that happen? How could I be so rapt in my life that the miracle of Spring had gone unnoticed? I sat silent, stunned and promised myself that I would never let that happen again. When life is giving you gifts left and right you can not just igore them. It's not right. I have never missed Spring again, never will.

So today, February 2, 2009 I saw Spring's head and I was thrilled. All the life and death, young and old cliches came to mind but today I pushed them aside and just appreciated the coming of Spring. I know it's just a tease and that it could even snow again but today it made my heart sing.

After discovering Spring for the 43rd time today. I finished up a few things around the house and then picked up the kids. I didn't do much really but in the big scheme of things it was an amazing day.

1 comment:

Laura Lou said...

Wow - I'm so jealous. How wonderful. We are still coated in freezing fog and icy temps. How lovely to see the arrival of Spring. What a delightful day!