Sunday, February 22, 2009

Where Did She Get That?

Bob got a new XBox game. He likes crashing cars, trucks and motorcycles so that is what the kids get to play. I wasn't so wild about bodies flying through the air and then crashing to a brutal death but the kids think it is all hilarious.

Two days ago Bob and Coulter were racing around. I am not even sure if it's a game or if it's just an open course but they were having a great time. Bob crashed hard, his guy went flying through the air, hit a tree and then landed on the ground in what would have been a horrible death had it been real. The kids all burst into laughter. I mean total hysterics...."Daddy crashed!" ha ha ha ha and then Sophia yells, "He's taking a dirt nap!" OK now I start cracking up. Dirt nap...that is really really funny. I am not sure where she heard that but it is one of my faves.

In all honesty, she probably got it from me. And I got it from my dad. This is going off on a tangent but hey, it's my blog. When I was in high school I worked in my dad's office after school. Those who worked in his office might have called it something else but I thought is was work. There were a few patients that my dad introduced me to. I would always try and be polite and chat a bit with them.

One time my dad called me in to an exam room. There was an OLD lady in a wheelchair. He said, "Heather, this is Mrs...so and so. Mrs. so and so this is Heather." and then he left the room. I, trying to be polite, asked her a couple questions and then stood there. She didn't move. She just sat there starring at the floor. After a few minutes I said, "It was nice to meet you. Have a nice day." and I walked out. My dad was in the hall laughing his head off. This lady was physically alive but had no idea what was going on AT ALL. Funny dad.

There were always a few patients that I liked. One time there was a man that I liked. I came across his file and asked where he had been, I hadn't seen him in a long time. Someone said he was, and then she said something I didn't understand. I asked my dad what that meant and then he let out a string of synonyms. "He kicked the bucket. Took a one way ticket to Chicago. Put on the wooden Kimono (that's my favorite). Was 86'd. He's taking a dirt nap. He's deep 6'd. He passed over." and so on. He really had some good ones. I guess when your specialty has so many really sick people you need to separate a bit. Don't get my wrong. He wasn't speaking about this guy I liked he was just spilling out these terms and being funny. He has always cared a great deal for his patients. Especially the ones that were actively involved in their recovery.

But I digress.... So that must be where she got it. It's funny what your kids pick up. I don't remember telling her that but I must have because she didn't make it up. Be careful what you tell your kids....even in passing.

2 comments:

Becky Chasse said...

I click on the SNL website and Mom of 3 when I want a good laugh.

I like your digressions, Heather!

Laura Lou said...

Ha - there truly is nothing better than kids. Their expressions (verbal and non) are so pure. Sam, my youngest is such a great example. He doesn't care what the saying is, he will repeat it. Needless to say that Tony has had to tone down his trucker mouth since Sam could talk. . . .lol