Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tootie Toot Toot Tootie

At our house farts are called toots. And when you have 2 boys aged 5 and 3, toots are hilarious. There is never an inappropriate time for laughing about toots, talking about toots or actually tooting. Just saying, "toot" can bring them to their knees. And to toot at the dinner table in front of everyone, well that is like the trifecta of tooting.

We have been trying to discourage "toot" talk. It gets old fast and is annoying for those of us with out the sophisticated mind of a 3 to 5 year old. Kees has taken to answering Coulter by saying, "OK Toadie." That is his version of tootie. He is also fond of saying, "Toadie, toot, toot" just to be annoying to the rest of us. Coulter knows better then to say these things directly to me.

Today Kees kept saying, "R Toadie, too." And I kept telling him to stop it. He got really upset and said it again, "R Toadie, too." I again said, Kees, knock it off. And he said, "No iths a woebot." (It's a robot) Then Coulter tells me that, "Yeah, it's a robot from Star Wars." He had been trying to say, "R2D2" and it kept coming out, "R Toadie, too" so I was getting frustrated thinking he was just being insolent. It made me laugh. I appologised for not understanding. The funny part is that Coulter only heard him say "R2D2" and didn't understand why I didn't understand. Thank goodness Kees has an interpreter. There are times I don't understand at all.

If you have (or have had) young boys I know you probably understand the toot talk. If not you just have to take my word for it. I am sure my boys would be more then happy to toot talk with you any time and show you all the ins and outs of this sophisticated humor.

1 comment:

Laura Lou said...

well, now a fellow "toot" linguist! - toot talk is so familiar to me too! Ah, mom's of boys understand! :0)