Thursday, July 30, 2009

Alfred E Newman


Coulter is a funny boy. He makes me laugh, he is a bit mischievous, is high strung and sometimes he is a bit sensitive. I took this picture yesterday and immediately I thought of Alfred E. Newman. Come on.... Less the red hair that could be him! So I sent it out to a few family members. A couple got it, a couple didn't know who that was. Then I put the pictures side by side with Alfred E. Newman on the right and Coulter on the left. It was all in one frame. It was hilarious.

I posted it on Facebook. Immediately I got comments. Apparently it wasn't just me that thought he was a ringer. So me, thinking I am so cleaver, showed Coulter. I said, "Hey, come here I want to show you something." He saw the pictures side by side and burst into tears. I said, "What's the matter?" And he crumpled into my lap and said, "THAT'S MEAN!" I said, "I didn't mean to be mean. I thought it was funny." And he said, "It's NOT. It's MEEEAAAAN." I clicked it closed and told him I had deleted it. We chatted and I said I was sorry and could we be friends again. He said, "yes." but I really did hurt his feelings.

After he went to bed I got to thinking. I love my boy and I don't want him to ever feel less then special, less than beautiful or less then anything! So I did do it. I deleted it from Facebook, I even deleted it from my computer. After I deleted it from everywhere I felt better. So I know that I did the right thing. I know that if he were sitting by me sometime and it popped up he would feel betrayed and I do not want that. I love him and he needs to trust me. It is the little things that we remember when we grow up. Some of the things that I remember about my childhood are moments from day to day living. They aren't anything that you would call monumental or even, possibly, notable. Yet there they are, the moments that are imprinted on my mind, my soul. I hope this wasn't one of those moments for him. I certainly didn't do it to hurt him. And more then anything I want him to know that I honored his feelings by following through on my promise to delete it. I am not sure what about it was so hurtful to a 5 year old, very silly boy, but it is now gone and that is what matters most.

I love you Coulter.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Kind of sorry I missed the "side by side" but I love Coulter and am glad that you honored his wishes. I need to stop by and see all of you. I miss your brood.

Becky said...

It's amazing and strange how kids can react to some things and not care about others. I remember when all of the embryo chicks in preschool died because they were overcooked. The teachers and parents were choked up but the kids were like, "whatever". But then the littlest things can be so big. I think you did the right thing, too. You're an inspiration!