Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A True Oregonian




The past 3 days I have felt like a true Oregonian and Portlander. On July 5th I left Manzanita at 10 am to drive directly to Mt. Hood for a party. This might sound epic but it was only a 2-1/2 hour drive. My friend Terri Naito was having a Cabin Warming Party and was kind enough to include me. When I arrived I recognized a bunch of people and there were LOTS I didn't. I'll bet there were 60 people there when I arrived. Terri greeted me, walked me around and said, "Now be your usual fun self and introduce yourself around. You'll be fine." She knows me well enough to know I was not going to be shy. After a while I was sitting by my friend Teri Rowan. She was perusing a book of hikes. I thought, "I hope she's planning a hike. I'd love to do a bit of moving." A few minutes later I hear Lisa say, "We're going on a hike." to a group near me. I asked, "Can I go along?" "SURE" And off we went.

It was a really nice hike. I don't know how far it was but I think it took us about 2-1/2 hours with a lengthy stop at the destination point. Imagine, 5 hours before I was on the coast and here I was at a beautiful mountain stream. The group all took our shoes off and dipped our feet in the stream. Ahhh, cool, refreshing. In this group was a woman named Suzy. The reason I point her out is that, Rebecca my friend at the beach (usually my in town friend and walking partner), job shares with Suzy. Before I left the beach she said, "I'll bet my friend Suzy is there." Sure enough, there she was on the hike. Suzy and I talked for a long time. She was great, Rebecca was right on that front too. Funny how you run into the same crowds no matter where you go. I felt much better at the end of the hike and I was ready for some food.

That was great because Terri N. had a friend who's a chef who made a ton of food. It was so delicious! There were 2 salads that were to die for. If I get the recipes I'll share them. They looked easy enough and could (obviously) be made in bulk. After dinner we took a group picture and I needed to get home. I hadn't been home much lately.

I got home about 45 minutes later. I love that Mount Hood is so close. So Oregon.... The kids were playing and we started to go through months worth of mail and laundry. Good times.

On Monday the kids got up and played. Later some breakfast and then it was time for Apple Tree Day Camp. This is a camp that is run by Clara, Mackenzie and Alice. They've all been babysitters for us and Clara and Mackenzie have traveled with us. Tight circle.... My kids have been going to this camp for 4 years now and it's the best deal in town. They are very organized and the kids love it.

On the way to camp we walked through the park because we had seen the climbing wall being driven into the park. The climbing wall was a big hit last year and the kids were really excited to see it. On the way through the park I saw the usual set of T'ai Chi people. There are about 12 of them that are out there year round. I swear I saw them in the snow. They were there communing with nature, moving to a slow inner song that I don't hear (maybe someday?) and in total harmony with one another. It gives me peace just seeing them. I have been seeing them for 4 years now.

As I watched the T'ai Chi group, Sophia and Coulter ran up ahead and got in line at the climbing wall. Coulter was big enough to do it this year! You have to be 45 lbs or you can't offset the counter weights which means you would get stuck at the top. Yikes... They went up and down 5 or 6 times. I love that this is just across the street. Then it was off to camp.

It was a big reunion with Clara and Mackenzie for the kids. It had been 2 weeks since we had sent them off from the Bahamas. There were hugs all around. My friend Nolee drove me home and we chatted for about a half hour. Since we'd done all this travelling we hadn't had a chance to catch up. We swapped stories and laughed.

The rest of the day was relatively non eventful. Costco, dishes, laundry, more mail etc. Saw a few friends walk by the house and caught up with them over the rail of the deck. Recognized a few dogs walking by....Iva barked "hello" to all of them. A nice day.

Bob got home early and we finished up the mail pile while the kids ran around making lots of noise. We had a quick dinner. Bob took Sophia and Coulter to the pool in their wet suits. It was fairly cold last night. But the kids are from Oregon, why should a little cool weather keep them from swimming? Kees had to go to bed because he didn't eat his dinner. Then early to bed for everyone.

And this morning I got up early to take the car into the shop. I am road tripping to California this weekend and want to make sure the car is in top shape. I strapped my bike to the bike rack and off I went. I rode home and Bob left for work. It came together just as planned. The kids were still sleeping so I took Iva across the street for a bit of "ball" her favorite game. There were a bunch of moms getting ready for aerobics in the covered area at the grade school. It was 7:15 and all these people were out there! Again, I shouldn't be surprised because I have seen them out there all year long too.

Tonight we have a free track meet at the high school track. It's very fun as well. It's for anyone of any age and everyone gets a ribbon. Kees ran 2 years ago when he was just shy of 2 and got a ribbon. Coulter ran last year and was convinced he had won when he got a ribbon. So cute.

So I am feeling very Oregonian this week. Beach and walks, mountains and hiking, rock climbing in the park, watching aerobics and T'ai Chi in the park while tossing a ball for the dog, riding my bike and so on.... So in haiku now...

Oregon is Great!
A vast array of riches.
A blessed life we lead.

Have a great day in whatever state you're in and take it all in.

No comments: