Monday, October 19, 2009

A Beautiful Thing


Marilyn and Majid - The happy couple!!!


Sarah, Marilyn, Heather, Ellen and Cassandra


Abdul (Dude Mike of Springfield), Heather and Connie


Ellen and Tony


Ellen and Cassandra

I just got back from California where I attended the wedding of my dear friend Marilyn Beck. She married Majid Karimi a man of Persian descent. I had never met Majid before but I couldn't have imagined a nicer man for Marilyn. He is smiling all the time, embraces his friends and family always, and is an all around lovely man.

I tell you this, Majid's family is HUGE! He has five brothers and two sisters and most are married with a few children.... There were aunts, uncles, cousins etc. all over the place. Marilyn's family was well represented as well but it's hard to keep up with the numbers when it comes to the Karimi's.

Ellen, Tony (Ellen's Boyfriend, such an nice guy) and I all arrived on the mountain on Friday. I immediately went to the spa. My toes were a mess and lord knows, one can not attend a wedding with messy toes!

Upon returning to my room I met up with my room mate Cassandra. We conferred that it had been about 15 years since we had crossed paths. How is it that she looked exactly the same? Cassandra is smart, successful, friendly and beautiful. It was really fun to see her doing so well and to, well, just see her again. She was a great room mate.

Shortly there after our reunion we took a short car ride to a little restaurant. By the looks of it we weren't expecting much but the menu was great. Everyone sat all mixed up so we could get to know one another. As it turns out, I sat next to Marilyn's mom, Ann, and across from Abdul and Connie, Majid's oldest brother and sister in law. Abdul is in his early fifties I would guess and his wife is right behind him. Connie is Hispanic and FULL of life and humor. Abdul is known as the strict one in the family. Of course, I didn't know this so I went in with no preconceived notions.

As dinner progressed we shared LOTS of interesting conversation. It's always fascinating to hear a new point of view when it comes to world politics. We shared many ideas and didn't share others but it was all good. Later on I asked Abdul what his WHOLE name was. It was something like Abdul Kalif humina humina humina Karimi. So I translated it for him. Abdul is a title, his second name is a common name, the next one means "From the" and the last name describes the area he's from. The area is a grassy plane. So I translated it as Dude Mike of Springfield. Well I'll tell you that caught on. By the end of the night he WAS "Dude Mike of Springfield."

Majid told me, "I have NEVER seen my brother like this." That made me laugh since all I had seen was this silly guy. I later heard so much more about Abdul. He moved to the US when he was 19, put himself through school and moved his siblings over two by two. He then felt the responsibility to guide them as they were educated, married and basically sought the American Dream all while getting married and having four children of his own. I think that would make anyone fairly serious. Lots of responsibility. I hadn't met that Abdul. I met the Abdul that was "Dude Mike of Springfield" and liked laughing a lot. The same guy who adored his wife and was very happy for, and proud of his whole family.

We played poker late into the night on Friday. I think we were there until 1:30 in the morning and it turns out, we were not the last to leave! Yikes. This wouldn't have been so bad EXCEPT - it was in Marilyn and Majid's suite. AND Marilyn is almost 3 months pregnant. I know how tired that made me, I can't imagine having to host a wedding and a bunch of crazy people in my suite. As I came to learn later, Marilyn has learned to accept Majid's hospitality and knew there would be people in their suite the whole time. Bless Marilyn!

Saturday was fairly quiet. We all got up early considering the late night. The women did flowers and then the women in the wedding party had their nails done. I had lunch with George, Sarah and their boys, Minas and Michael. It was fun to catch up with them. Later then I rested and got ready for bowling. We all went bowling for the rehearsal dinner.

After bowling it was back to the hotel where Majid insisted we all go to their suite again. We did but then we all insisted that he and Marilyn go to bed and we left at about 11. Much better considering the next day they were getting married!

Wedding Day - I slept in while there was a hum through out the rest of the group getting ready. The wedding was held on the lawn over looking the lake....Beautiful. The ceremony was fairly traditional but also included Persian traits and welcomed all believers. I loved that part. We are all one. There were many representatives from each family flanking the bride and groom. So much love.....

The reception had all kinds of music and the food was great. Majid's brothers and Marilyn's family all toasted the happy couple with love and blessings. Even Dude Mike got up there. I was dragged onto the dance floor by both Abdul and Connie. I felt like the long lost sister who had finally be reunited with her big Persian Family. It was great.

So it was a successful weekend. I loved seeing my old friends. We talked about the fact that we've all been friends for over 20 years, almost half a life time. Amazing! And I love these people as much as I ever did. Then to meet the Karimi Family and feel like I have even more family. Fabulous. Abdul and Connie have insisted that I come back and bring the "Dutch one", Bob and the kids. Abdul said we'll have a big celebration when we go. I am sure it will be amazing.

Thanks so much to the hosts for providing a wonderful experience for all involved. I will not soon forget...actually I will never forget that good time.

1 comment:

Silly Bus said...

It is a very nice and good post. Keep up the good work.