Sunday, October 4, 2009

Today Was Like a Box of Chocolates






Today started out just like any other Sunday. We all slept in a few minutes. I spread the word last night, "No TV in the morning." so the sleep in would be possible. Bob voyaged out to Starbucks for coffee (I am still not sure about this one because we HAVE A COFFEE MAKER!) but I digress. Bob made breakfast for all and we went to church. The kids were good and totally willing. This has made going to church much nicer. After church we went to the coffee hour, the kids had cookies, we all chatted and the produce table was up. It's great. You can pick up a few things for a donation. It's better then when the market vendors would throw it all away.

After church the kids lobbied for Chinese Food. That sounded good to me so I told them to lobby daddy. He's the tough one on that. He agreed so we went to our favorite place. A little dim sum, a couple more regular things....yum. Sophia later reported, "That was good Chinese. I can still taste it when I burp." What a lady....

Then on to IKEA! I love to go to IKEA and don't need much of an excuse to go. But today we needed a BIG basket that we could put the kids coats in. They come in the house and just throw them on the floor, now at least they'll have a target to throw them. I am trying to make it as easy as possible. If you can't beat 'em..... The kids asked for a bunch of stuff...they got nuthin'. By the end of the trip to IKEA they knew they weren't getting anything and the gave up. I love how Coulter would say, "But I want it because I have been so good." My response, "We have raised you to be good. That is my expectation."

Next home again, home again.... As we drive up what's across the street from our house? 4 guys in armor sword fighting. They had a whole little set up. When the kids went over the wenches gave the kids little foam swords. It was really something. The ladies were preparing some meat thing over a gas flame thing and I think they were drinking some sort of grog. I snapped off a few pics and the kids thought that was so cool. Apparently they are going to be here monthly.

After our bit of sword fighting we went to the ice cream social for Kees' school. The weather was fabulous and there were all kinds of things going on. There were pony rides, ice cream, 2 bouncy houses, live music, and lots of playing on the play ground. Iva even got to come. Everyone had fun.

We were home by 3:30. This meant my day of getting things done was almost shot. I had planned to and really wanted to reupholster my dinning room chairs. This is something that I have wanted to do since the first day that I set my eyes on that nasty green material on the seats. Totally YUCK. On the plus side, we used the yucky material as our practice material so it has all the stains on it. Yesterday I picked up some material that is PERFECT for our colors and I got it for a DOLLAR at a yard sale. How cool is that? But alas....the day is only so long.

FIRST, we turned down the kids' request for play dates. We are hell bent on making them learn to entertain themselves. This went on almost every hour on the hour. I was ready to beat them. Bob and I spent our time getting out the winter stuff and organizing. Each kid has their own basket or drawer. All coats go in the BIG BASKET, hats, gloves, scarves, back packs etc go in their own space. Man I hope this works. I hate the clutter at the door. My kids don't even notice it.

After the stuff was organized, put away it was time to ..... make dinner. Damn...my chairs. As I moved into the kitchen Bob said, "I'll go pick something up." I love him. I GOT TO START ON MY CHAIRS!!! The new material covered 5 chairs and then I have another material for the rest. I am really happy with my new chairs but especially happy that I was able to do it myself. They look great! I am tired but really happy with the result.

It was a good Sunday albeit busy and a little strange. How often do you have guys in armor sword fighting in YOUR front yard? Yes indeed, today was like a box of chocolates.

No comments: