Sunday, January 3, 2010

Borrowed From Heaven

When I was growing up we went to church. I learned that you are born, are baptized, lead a good life, believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, you confess your sins, take Christ into your heart and then are saved. Then if you follow all the rules and believe, you go to Heaven. I firmly believed this alone until I had kids.

When Sophia was 3 she started talking about Heaven and what it was like. She didn't ask many questions and when she told me about Heaven it was matter of fact. You know, like she was recounting a vacation or talking about her day at school. She was telling me what she knew.

She told me how you are there not only after you die but before you are born. And then she explained to me what happens between lives. You have a "guide angel" and sometimes 2 or more. You discuss what it is that you are looking for and then, together, you come to some conclusions. At that point you go before the "judge angel" and either confirm your assignment or the "judge angel" has something new and unexpected. She explained how that can be exciting.

She remembers her brothers there. Not in their current form but as a being, a spirit. She couldn't remember what they looked like but she knew it was them by their being. Remember....this started when she was three. It was interesting, thought provoking to say the least.

Sophia talked about that on and off for 3+ years. She doesn't remember as much now but it is in the back of her mind every now and again.

Now the boys have started talking about being in Heaven and coming here various times. They talk about having different experiences and coming here before and what they want to be next time. Kees was talking about it very matter of factly as if you go to bed, sleep, dream and wake up. Instead you live, die, go to Heaven get reassigned and come back. It made me think that we're all just borrowed from Heaven.

Who's to say that they're wrong? There are so many different beliefs out there and many of them believe in reincarnation. I never did before but now.....maybe. It's interesting that the boys are having the same kinds of conversations with me totally separate from their sister. I try and just listen. I don't shut them down and I do ask them what they think will happen in the future, what they will be. They always want to be with me and I think that is wonderful and sweet. In their scenarios I am always the mommy and they are the babies. Of course that is what they believe now but who knows.

I love my family so much and I hope that we are together for all time. If we all have this life together and eventually are all in Heaven together great. But if indeed we are only borrowed from Heaven then I look forward to a few more Earth bound adventures together with these soles in what ever form we take. If we are borrowed from Heaven then that is our real home, our base, and I believe that there we are all one family.

No comments: