Sunday, April 18, 2010

Trav'lin Mom......

I am here to tell ya that 3 ½ hours of sleep is NOT enough. I had a couple bottles of invincibility juice (beer) between 7 and midnight which did not help the going to bed process. Sitting here now think I was acting like my kids when they don’t want to go to bed. Grown up me knew that I should at least TRY to go to bed around 10 but good time me wanted to stay up with Bob. Besides, I wasn’t tired….or so I thought.

I had a couple beers, while I was packing. Anyway….. I was cold at about 11:30 so I took a bath both to warm up and relax. I was pretty excited as I was leaving for Nassau in the morning and was worried I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all. When I finally crawled into bed I watched TV for about 20 minutes and finally fell asleep.

My alarm went off at 4 am and my cab was to show up at 4:45. I jumped out of bed….no not really but I did get up. Showered and was off at 4:40.

The nice thing about travelling to the Bahamas is that you get to ship 2 bags free of charge. What has flying come to? I had one full of my stuff and the other full of gifts and SCUBA gear. I have to bring home some stuff for my peeps. The greater village is watching my small people while I am away.

Check-in, security, coffee and boarding all went smoothly. You know this is easier without kids! As the plane was boarding I noticed the woman in front of me was in the military. Then a man came up the isle from first class and said, “Sergeant, don’t get comfortable.” And he insisted that she go sit in first class. Then she said, “Sir, there is another soldier in the back. He should have the seat.” Apparently she out ranked the man in the back and wanted him to take the first class seat. She said that she would have a decent seat on their next leg which was to Kuwait but the private wouldn’t. He should take it and be comfortable for now. The man from first class said thank you and he went to the back of the plane and took the privates middle seat. I was very impressed.

The flight was long but uneventful. Just how you want them. As people departed I noticed them thanking the 2 service members for their service to our country. It was nice to see.

I am presently in Atlanta waiting for my next flight. I tried to switch to an earlier flight and the guy at the Delta desk was less than accommodating saying something like, “Ah, No! International flight, customs, lost luggage……we just can’t do that.” And I watched the plane depart. Damn that would have been nice.

I get in at about 7:30 and go straight to a concert, Kris Allen. I know I will have fun tonight and every night on my trip. So far I have the concert tonight, a celebration dinner tomorrow for some friends of George and Sarah’s, a big whoopty doo dinner with some PGA guys on Monday and another BBQ on Wednesday. In between all that I’ll be floating, reading and just hanging out. Stay posted and I’ll keep you up to date.

No comments: