Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Best is Yet to Come..... I PRAY!!!!

This whole getting ready to have a good time thing is way over rated. I have been thinking about packing for about 2 months. I have been making lists for almost 2 weeks. I packed for 2+ days and this morning we hopped in a cab 2 hours before take off.

Last night at about 6 pm I decided to take Coulter to the urgent care at Kaiser. He had a really nasty reaction to a bug bite on his face. His little cheek was so swollen that the doctor asked him, "What do you have in your mouth?" There was nothing in there. I was pretty sure that there was nothing we could do but I was worried that if he was worse in the morning that we'd be in trouble of missing our plane. They agreed that it was really bad but we should just continue with Benadryl and Hydrocortisone. So he was given a relatively clean bill of health. Good mama, I did what I could do to make sure he was safe.

We got back home at about 7:30 and all the kids went to bed. In this instance they all got Benadryl. Why take chances? He he.... they were all asleep at a decent time. Which is good because almost as soon as they were good and asleep we woke them up at 3 am. You know it's early (or late) when Jimmy Fallon is still on. They were pretty good though we did have to tell them to be quiet outside as they were running up and down the side walk waiting for the cab.

We were in the airport at 4:30. Through security and ready to board by 5. Our flight left at 6. This is all going really well. The kids were well behaved and moving through this experience like seasoned pros.

We land in Denver and we have an hour to make our connection. We go to the bathroom, go to the next gate, get a sandwich and then realize....OH CRAP! It's 10:10 and our flight leaves at 10:20. I didn't realize our flight was 25 minutes late! The gate agent where we were directed assures me that the flight is full and we aren't on that flight. OH CRAPPPPP!!!!!! We're at the wrong gate, WE'RE IN THE WRONG TERMINAL. WE RUN....FAST! Bob carries Kees, we have to wait for the train (DAMN), we get off the train. I run ahead! I check the clock, it's 10:15, maybe there IS hope? I get to the gate ahead of the pack and say, "Don't close the door." The desk person looks at me with a blank stare and says, "The plane is gone, go over there and they'll help you." And she looks back down with out any emotion, care, or humanity of any sort. Bob and the kids walk up behind me and I say, "We missed it." Mind you it wasn't 10:20 yet but apparently they can leave up to 10 minutes early.

I slink over the the "Customer Service" area. I tell the woman there, "I am not mad at you. I got up at 3, haven't eaten, have had way too much coffee, I have 3 kids in tow and I just ran across the airport to miss my flight." She was straight forward but polite and helpful. Or as much as she could be helpful. Essentially there is no way in hell we're getting out of here for the next 8 hours unless we charter a flight.

So here we are in the Denver Airport waiting for our flight. I am exhausted to the point that I am having heart palpitations. I need some sleep. The kids are watching movies. Sophia is writing poetry. Here is her poem.....

AIRPORT
A - Atlanta is our destination
I - In minutes we will leave
R - Running for our plane
P - POOP, we missed
O - Our family is bored
R - Run....we made it
T - Too bad we had to wait

Yes wait we will. At present we have 6.5 more hours. I asked the guy at the information desk what there was to do here. He just laughed. All I have to say is this will be one long ass day. And I am VERY sure that the best is yet to come.

1 comment:

Laura Lou said...

Yowzer!!! And it all started off so good too!! I hope and pray you are off on your dream vaca. and the Denver experience is just a distant memory. . . .How is Coulter's face?