Friday, June 12, 2009

We're on the Up Swing.......

Well as it turns out we were able to get onto the 1:30 flight! I can't believe it. When I walked up to the counter at 1:00 the woman behind the counter had the most sour look on her face. I thought, "Damn, she's not in a good mood." Turns out I think it was just her natural demeanor. She said flatly, "May I help you?" I smiled as brightly as I could and said with all the happiness I could muster....."I sure hope so." She informed me that there were seats available but they weren't together. I said, "That's fine but I have 3 kids." Hey, I'm not sure I want to sit next to my 3 year old maybe someone else would!

As it turns out they were able to get us on the plane in in two groups of 2 and 3. GREAT! I wanted to kiss her sour little face....she resisted. We got on the plane and the heavens opened and the skies lit up. Crap, we were grounded for an hour and a half. We took off an hour and a half late but it was still before 7 pm! We fly, we fly, we fly....and an announcement comes over the PA. It's the pilot, "We have been put into a holding pattern in Atlanta for an hour" Are you kidding me?!? But 2 minutes later the plane descends and we land. Go figure... We pull in toward the gates. They start announcing that those who have connectors need to get off first. We are so late I can't imagine anyone making a connector but hey, I am not going to get in their way. As we get near the gate the pilot comes on again, "We're going to be sitting here for a couple minutes. Delta has 2 planes (not one but TWO) that are broken down and need to be towed and they are blocking our gate." (HEY GET A NEW GATE). Finally we get in.

Awesome we are in Atlanta finally. All 5 of us march off the plane. The kids have really been good but are starting to loose it. It's been 15 hours of travelling so I can't blame them. We hop off the plane, get on the train and get to the baggage terminal. Bob takes Sophia and heads to get the luggage, I go with the boys (they were driving Bob crazy) and we go to rent the car. Of course we need Bob at the rental counter to sign the paperwork. He comes over and then goes back to get in line again. I finish the paper work and then go over over to the luggage area.

Do you think our luggage was there? Of course not. Did they know where it was? Of course not. We sat there and chatted and I have to say that this was so on course with the rest of the day that it was pretty funny. So the lady there says that if it comes in on the next flight at mid night (it was 9 pm) that she will call us at 1 am. We agree that this is the best solution at this point.

We get our car and drive up to Cumming, 50 min north of the airport. Our family is happy to see us. The kids perk right up and we all enjoy our time until about midnight. Finally we put the kids to bed. This is a whole other blog but needless to say they were crazy. Bob and I consider driving back to the airport to get our bags. This will get us back to the house at 2:30 am but it will not interfere with our plans the next day (technically that day). At 12:30 I say I just can't do it safely. I am too tired. We go to bed.

We get a call at 1 am and our bags are in Atlanta. Hallelujah. I say leave them at the airport and we'll pick them up. I am not going to wait for 5 hours for them to deliver them sometime between 11 and 4. Talk about a wasted day. Bob and I get up at 8:30. We go to the airport, retrieve our bags and return "home" by 11. Hooray, after only 35 hours we have arrived at our destination with all our things. It's a Festivas Miracle. Or at least if feels that way.

So today was great fun. The kids woke up about 10:30 so they weren't aware of any trouble. We all got dressed in our stuff 'cause it was THERE and went out on the Bagwell's boat. It was great. It rained a little but it was short and the fun was long. Tonight we had a movie on the big screen in the back yard and that was great too. We are finally having fun and there is no stopping us now. Bahamas look out, here we come.....

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeah! The fun quotient has kicked in. I am relieved for you and you all will recover from the plane/travel fiasco. Enjoy!

Clara said...

I'm glad it all ended up working out.
However I PRAY that nothing like that happens to Kenzie and I... I can't even imagine! Oh well.
Have fun in Atlanta and see you in THREE DAYS!!