Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Monday Monday, So Good To Me....






Monday was a slower day. Thank goodness! How does anyone keep this pace? George? Sarah? Anna? Anyone? We are all having a blast though so don't get me wrong.... No complaints here. This has been one good time after another.

I can't believe we have been here for 8 days. It has all blurred into one really good time and will be wonderful memories for every one of us. So we all got up on Monday and had some breakfast. Bob ordered a pile of food and we all just took what we wanted. Yum! After wishing Uncle Brown (Uncle Brian) a happy birthday we all were going to the straw market.

I told Brian my birthday gift was given on Saturday. That's when I celebrated. It wasn't a thing and it wasn't mine to give but still. It seemed like a good celebration for a birthday. What could a guy want after the weekend we just had?

As I posted about Sunday night, Coulter had been sick. He said he was better and he had a bunch of breakfast so he appeared better. Great. We all walked through the hotel. Coulter said he felt sick so we stopped so he could go #2. He did and said he was all better. Fab...bullet dodged. We walked for about 4 blocks inside and then went outside. The humidity was oppressive. It was about 95 and 100% humidity. It was like swimming in a hot tub. Coulter immediately looked at me and pointed to his face. He was going to throw up. I grabbed him and held him over a trash can where he threw up everything he had for breakfast and then some.

Bob turned around with Couter and went back to our room. The rest of us proceeded. I was so hot it was like I was melting, or as if someone had poured a bucket of water over my head. We walked through the market got a few trinkets and then stopped at the little island market for water and sodas. Next I got some Gravol for Coulter to help his tummy. We walked back to the room....ahhhh, air conditioning. Much better. I will tell you that this was the first time that I felt this hot. It's been hot and humid but nothing like today.

When we got back to the room Coulter was doing much better and watching a show. Clara had been feeling under the weather with nasal congestion so she stayed behind to watch him while the rest of us went to the pool. Kees, seeing that Coulter was watching a video decided to stay behind. Hey, fine with me. This meant that Bob and I could float and not have to watch kids. Cool.

Mackenzie took Sophia to a pool so that they could chase dive sticks and Bob and I indeed did float. And I flipped over.....twice on the wave part. No big deal except that I ruined my glasses. Oh well...I just bought a new pair the moment we stepped inside the hotel. Problem solved.

We went back to the room at 5:30 or so because we told the sitters if they wanted to do a night thing tonight was the night. They had reservations at 9:00. We all just hung out, I blogged, the kids snacked, watched TV and we decompressed. A little down time. Lovely...

At about 6:30 we noticed a storm in the distance. It was amazing. There was flashing every second. I tried to take video and photos but they didn't show the magnitude of this storm. It was like something you'd see in a movie.

More hanging out... more relaxing. At 9:00 the sitters we off to dinner and it was time to put our own kids to bed. We hadn't done this in a while since the girls were here and we had been out, have I mentioned...every night. Of course the kids had to check out the storm first. WOW! It was really close now and headed directly at us. Cool. More video and pictures, yes these were cool. It was strange because the whole sky would light up but there was no noise. It was a silent flashing. The kids go to bed and pass out in seconds.

The sitters came back at about 10:30 and by this time the storm is in full swing. It is just off shore and flashing almost continuously. I have NEVER seen any thing like this before. The clouds are fully lit and still hardly any noise. When I take a "Night" shot with my camera it looks like it's day time out. The video is just flashing and occasionally I get a lightening streak in there. We are all oohing and awing. All of a sudden the wind starts. Ladies and gentlemen, the storm is here! It blows hard and from past experience I know patio furniture flies. We flip the tables over so they don't catch a breeze and start flying around. We hear glass smashing. I think someone must have had glasses on their balcony. I shoot more video. It looks like aliens are landing, or at least that is what it looks like in the movies. The clouds are flying by, impressive. Really impressive. We're all still out there because no-one can believe it.

Ingrid and Brian come back at about 11:00 and join us out on the deck. It's hard to open the door to our room because the air pressure is blowing it closed. It rains, wind blows, clouds fly by and still, we're out there. None of us can believe what we're seeing. But then Ingrid announces that Brian's birthday dessert is coming up. We all respond to the lure of sweets. We sing Happy Birthday and dive in. Yum.

I later email our local meteorologist in Portland with video. He responds! He is also amazed by the video. That was funny.

We all go to bed at midnight. At 2 am when I wake up the storm is still going but dying down. So it was a good day today. Other then the obvious illness the rest was great. More later...

No comments: