Sunday, December 7, 2008

There's No Place Like Home




Hola mi amigos! Como esta? Bien, y tu? Tequilla por tu? OK enough of that. Yeah, we're home from our awesome trip to Mexico. The weather was perfect, the kids all played well and there was a bit of tequila happening and cerveza as well. Beer to you gringos. We all had a great time.

The kids got up at 4:30 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving. Bob and I were prepared for a total nightmare but they were great! The 2 flights to Mexico were flawless and we didn't even need any of the crap that I had prepared. I was sure that I'd be handing out new things to do every 2 minutes but no, they were totally happy. On the flight out of San Francisco Bob put the headsets on the boys and tuned it to the station where the pilots converse with the tower. After about a half hour Kees took his head set off and happily announced, "I LIKE listening to the pirates."


First things first in Mexico. We quickly unpacked and went to dinner with everyone! Mom, Ed, aunts, uncles and cousins. There was a beautiful sunset and everyone got reacquainted.

Now the real fun..... POOL, BEACH and SUN. The kids all played so nicely together. Kees and Coulter played like best friends. The weather was so great. One degree cooler would have been too cool and one hotter, too hot. And if you were too hot there were all those palm trees to sit under. As the first order of business, Sophia and I had our hair braided. It was nice not to have to worry about hair for a week. Not that it is really high on my daily agenda but it was also cooler.

So less the hair braiding, read the above and repeat 6 times. Life near a beach and a pool with kids is well.....life at the pool and the beach with kids. They don't care what or when they eat so long as they get to. They never want to sleep but eventually just pass out. It was so nice. I went to the grocery store each day and bought what we needed so I could make sandwiches for the day time and something simple but hot for dinner and breakfast.

Our 2 excursions were as follows. On the 3rd day we went on a bus into the jungle and Sophia, Mom and I went on zip lines. There were 16 in all and the longest one was a quarter mile long. Sophia was a bit nervous at first but after the first one she was an old pro. The on the 5th day we took a boat out to a neighboring town. It was just a loud boat ride to another beach. Not really so different then the other days just a different view. The waves were pretty treacherous but Bob saved all the kids a few times and a couple of adults as well. Then back on the loud boat to beach #1.
Mom and Ed watched the kids a couple of nights so Bob and I were able to go out. That was fun. We took the kids out a night or two but mostly it was pretty slow paced.


We got home at midnight on Friday. That was the least fun part of the trip. Luckily the kids each had their own row of seats and were able to sleep on the plane. Getting them up and in a cab was a true challenge.

So that was it. Fun in the sun. Especially nice this time of year when it's so cold out. I was finally allowed to take my braids out today. Sophia insisted we have matching hair for her first day back to school. It's very strange that Christmas is only 2 weeks away. There is not all the same hype down in Mexico about sales and Christmas. That was also nice. But I am having a hard time getting into it. As a matter of fact, we're not having a Christmas Party this year for the first time in about 10 years. Because.......I just don't feel like it. So there. But I digress....

BTW, the pictures I have on here are two of the 5 that I have. Bob walked into the ocean with my camera. I was so relaxed that I got over it in short order. Not my usual demeanor. Thanks again to Mom and Ed for facilitating this trip. We all had a great time.

No comments: