Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fleeting Sleep

For some reason I have had a hard time sleeping lately. I woke up at 3:30 all of the past 3 nights. I am not worried about anything that I can think of I am just waking up. This blows! I love sleep. If I do get back to sleep I have either been woken up at 6 am or have just opened my eyes then.

My small people have taken to having a bit of snuggle time in the morning. This is all well and good but I only have 2 sides and I have 3 kids. They seem to have started a competition to see who can get up first and claim a side. Last week one of them came in at 4:30 trying to claim a side. I was, shall we say, pissed!

Not only do they come in early in the morning but they seem to have gotten back in the habit of climbing in bed with us during the night. Kees is particularly sneaky, maybe because he's small. Bob is always shocked when he wakes up with Kees next to him.

Last night I decided to get back in the habit of going to bed at 9:30 or 10, spend a little time reading and hopefully fall asleep shortly after that. I did and it went pretty well. Then at midnight or so, Kees arrived. I had to make the decision to let him stay or get up and take him back to bed. If I really wake up it is very hard to get back to sleep....alright, he can stay. Next Sophia came in. She just crawled onto the "Chair Bed" and went to sleep. Fine....try to sleep, try to sleep....ahhh.. sleeping.

But then at 3:30 I awoke to the smell of dog poop. "Please be a fart, please be a fart." (I wish big don't I?) After 10 minutes I knew this was not fart. I turned on my bed side light and there was a bunch of poops by my dresser. Iva, our dog, usually wakes me up if she needs to go. I am not sure what was going on there but she obviously needed to go.

I get out of bed and start to clean up the dog poop. "Oh good. It's really solid so it's easy to pick up." (Again, BIG expectations) But there are lots of pieces. "I better flush these in two batches so the toilet doesn't get clogged." Good plan but it didn't work. The toilet plugs up. "Damn it." I go down stairs to get the plunger and the dog follows me and wants to go out. She goes out and poops more and then seems to wander around aimlessly for 10 minutes. I finally convince her to come in. I have to clean her feet, get the plunger and head back up.

The stupid toilet is really plugged. Push, pull, push, pull....nothing. Push, pull, push, pull....nothing. "Man this is really getting frustrating." Meanwhile I have poop waiting to still be disposed of. It's sitting neatly wrapped in TP. Push, pull, push, pull....still stuck. This goes on for 5 minutes or more and finally, it goes down. I finish the job. Squirt the offending area with pet odor stuff, wash my hands and go lay in bed. Of course I have now been out of bed for more then 20 minutes and Kees has taken over my spot. He's like a jell that fills the gaps. "Shove over dude."

Again, sleep alludes me. But I know I did go to sleep because Coulter woke me up at 6 to snuggle. Ah, a night in the life......

So today I am a bit tired. I need some coffee ASAP. Maybe that will get me out of this funk. And tonight, everyone better stay in their beds and the dog better behave her self. Mommy is tired. And when mommy is tired it effects everyone.

Wish us luck....

No comments: