Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Funny Cat Story

This is a story that my friend Shannon Shannon shared with me. Yes, her name really is Shannon Shannon. SS tells some pretty hilarious stories and many of them include her cat.

I had a cat incident last week though that made me laugh. I arrived home from work to find a group of neighbors in the street in front of my house. By the look in their eyes – I could tell that they had a mission on their minds. I smiled weakly and parked my car and walked to them to see what was going on.

Seems that two of my retired neighbors decided to get their carpets cleaned the same day that my husband decided it was warm enough to leave the cat outside for the day. Guess Sarah did not feel like hanging outside by herself and decided that the open doors (the carpet cleaner had to leave the door cracked open in order to snake the hoses into the house) across the street from our house was an open invitation to her. Of course she had to first roll in the flower bed as it had been a long time since she had seen dirt instead of snow. The cleaner tried to catch her – but she darted by him and proceeded to run across my neighbors white, newly cleaned and still wet carpet. A chase ensued and after many attempts and a lot of dirt – Sarah the Cat decided that she was not welcome in that house and strolled out of the house. My neighbors set up a blockade using treats and milk to entice her to stay outside while the cleaner – re-cleaned their carpets. He then moved on to the next house.

Guess what? Sarah decided that since she was so well rewarded by her first run in with the cleaner (plus she is part dog and LOVES to be chased) that she would check out the next house also. A second chase and many unmentionable words ensued. She was never caught – but did stop and take a break outside when presented with milk and treats again.

I tried really hard to look serious when they relayed their day to me. I am very clear that it was not pleasant and very frustrating. But as they ranted to me about their day – Sarah came and stood in the middle of the group, laid down, stretched out and presented her belly to anyone that wanted to give her a pet. Man was she happy. Full tummy, lots of attention and a very full day for her. I apologized and gave them my cell and offered to come home and lock her up if it ever happened again. Sarah strolled home and turned down dinner (dried cat food) as she had eaten well that day.

No comments: