Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mother of the Year....

I have had a banner week for being a great mother. Not good....great! And I have 3 prime examples to prove it.

#1 - Last Sunday (after church) we went to an Easter Party. It was really fun. The kids had an Easter Egg Hunt and then were running around in packs. The parents were eating, drinking and being merry. Bob, not really being a party person, had enough after about 3 hours. He came to me and said, "Let's take the kids to a movie." I said, "Why don't you take the kids to a movie? I am having a great time." He said, "Alright, I'll go talk to the kids. See you later." He leaves with the kids.

I stayed for about 2 hours longer. I was having a fabulous time. I caught up with people that I hadn't seen for a long time and was enjoying my time as an adult with out kids. I can't remember the last time I was at a party with out my kids. After a couple hours I was ready to go. I said my good byes and was practically out the door. Before I left I thought that I should call Bob and find out where my family was and maybe I could hook up with them. As I was talking to Bob, Sophia comes running out of the house. I almost dropped. And then I started laughing because I was going to leave with out her. I could hardly talk because I was laughing so hard. I was seriously going to leave with out her. "Mother of the Year"...but wait, there's more... Next comes Coulter....AND KEES! They had been there all along and I was going to leave my babies at the party. Yes, yes...someone give me an award.

#2 - If you have met my boys you know THEY LIKE MONSTER TRUCKS!!! They like all things monster truck. They like the music, they like actual trucks, they like the noise, they like it ALL. Well being "Mother of the Year" I made a CD of Monster Truck Music. The first song is The 3 Little Pigs by Green Jelly. You have to click this link...it's hilarious. The boys and I heard this by chance one day and we had to have it.

So after deciding that would be the first song I clicked Genius on ITunes and quickly burned them a CD. If you don't know Genius it is an awesome feature. It picks out songs that are similar to your original choice and creates a kind of party mix. The boys love their CD. They play it loud all the time. I figure I better get used to it because in their teen years I probably won't have a choice.

On Tuesday night Bob went upstairs with the boys to help them clean their room. They jump up on their bed and turn on their new favorite Monster Truck CD. They're cleaning away. And when song #3 came on Bob decided it was time to turn the CD off. He later brought me the CD and said, "Listen to song #3" I did and once again "Mother of the Year" comes to mind. The 3rd song was Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff. You should click on that one but make sure there are no little ears around. When I heard it I laughed so hard. Let me say that at best it is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE for anyone one under 18. Actually it is inappropriate for anyone as far as I am concerned. Yes the "Mother of the Year" made a lovely CD for her children. Bob and I laughed for 10 minutes. He was describing how Coulter said, "Oh, this is my favorite song." And how he sang along. It took Bob 2 minutes to determine that "Yes, the F word is what they said." and then to turn it off. Now I am wondering how it got on my ITunes. I can guarantee that I didn't buy that CD.

#3 - On Thursday we had a glorious day. It was in the mid 60's, the sun was shining and the neighborhood was coming alive. On the way home from school Kees fell asleep in the van. I pulled the van way up the driveway, opened all the doors, the sun roof and all the windows. I unbuckled his seat belt so he could get out when he woke up. He slept for an hour or so and then woke up happy. Great. Now comes the problem.

I left the van open. I left the van open all night.....and it rained. It rained pretty hard. Friday morning we went out to the van to go to school and you can only imagine my surprise at my soaking wet van. The cup holders were full, the maps were soaked, the seats and carpet drenched...it was a total disaster. The carpet was so wet that later when I parked the van on an incline there was a pool in the front of the van. It's a good thing that it was me and not the kids....oh man. Coulter wasn't sure if he should laugh or be nervous. We all laughed. What are you going to do? Yes again, "Mother of the Year" comes to mind.

So those were my great moments this week. May next week be full of great parenting moments as well. I hope my kids survive me....

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

So where was Bob and what was he doing while you were at the party (with the kids) and he was GONE!?
I think he should have told you that the kids actually STAYED. I have a husband/father too. If he did that, I think I might have be-headed him. So tell Bob he is a lucky, lucky man.
RJB

Laura Lou said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that makes these kinds of mistakes. It is SO refreshing to know there are others out there like me. :-) The best part is that there are no excuses, just "yup, that was my mistake". . .you are the greatest!