Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Leek's Got Talent



Tonight was our church's talent show. Clara our favorite babysitter, fiddle teacher and buddy to the kids and Sophia played in the show. As a matter of fact they were the first act up. The girls had planned to wear matching clothes and hair to give them a finished look. Sophia has been practicing and getting ready for a week now. She said she was really nervous but I could tell she was really ready to go.

Sophia rode over with Clara and Rebecca to the church so they could practice a bit before hand. The boys, Bob and I arrived shortly after them for the potluck preceding the talent show. We all ate, even Sophia, which after thinking about it for a bit surprised me because I knew she was nervous.

So the show started with the introduction of the emcee. Then he introduced the girls. You should have seen them. Clara went up and said that she was Sophia's "Babysitter, fiddle teacher and her friend." I thought that was about the sweetest thing that she could have said. Sophia was so cute. She was standing there looking up to Clara. I was so proud. A year ago she wouldn't go to the front of the church to listen to the children's lesson. Now she is up there performing like a big girl. I just can't believe that I have a kid performing! I can't believe what a lovely girl she is becoming. I can't believe how confident and self assured she is. I can't believe how blessed I feel and how proud I am of her. And I am also so pleased that she has such a wonderful example of a young woman as she has in Clara.

They play. They played really well and Sophia has only been at it for 8 weeks. Oh, look at her go. She is amazing. They are amazing. Clara is so gracious. That is a real pal that will play with you up there. Then half way through the microphone falls down. It crashes to the floor. But it didn't seem to bother either of them very much. And it was fixed and off they went again. It was really cool.

After they were done Sophia came back to sit with us. She was very proud of herself. A couple minutes later she started asking me, "Mom. What's your talent?" I said that I wasn't going to do anything. After lots of pestering from my children I decided that I would sing Summertime. Honestly it's a no brainer for me. The emcee called Sophia up and she introduced me. She said, "This is my mom Heather Leek and she is going to sing a song called Summer. Please give her a big round of applause." Again she blew me away. She hadn't planned that. It was totally off the cuff but she was confident and did a really good job. I said that I had to sing a song because my kids had been sitting in the back asking me over and over if I had any talent. I sang my song. It was pretty funny because I don't think most people knew that I could sing. I've been known to sing a song or two.

So the evening went really well. We had fun and Sophia amazed me. It is an amazing thing to see her grow. I know that we have given her the tools but it is she who has to put the pieces together and grow and she is doing an incredible job. I am blown away. And to Clara....thank you so much for doing this with Sophia, for being her mentor, for being such a good example and for being a big sister and friend to my girl. I couldn't hope for anything better for my girl then you.

So the Leeks have talent and next year look out, the boys are getting in on the act too.

2 comments:

Clara said...

Heather- how sweet. I absolutely love hanging around with your family. I feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time with all of you. You have amazing children and Sophia is SO talented. I will miss them all so much when I go to college! But for now I look forward to all of the adventures to come this summer! Thanks for including me so much in the lives of you and your family.

Laura Lou said...

Fantastic!! Way to go Sophia! Where is the video of Summertime though? :o)