Saturday, May 2, 2009

Weekend So Far

So far so good. Last night our friends the Stewarts came over for dinner. The kids played and later watched a movie. All the adults sat on the front deck. It's really nice to be able to sit outside again. I look forward to that all winter .

This morning I slept in and Bob brought me breakfast in bed. Who doesn't like that? Right after that Sophia and I rode our bike (and tag along) over to Laurelhurst to join Julie, Gracie and Bobby for coffee. On our way I noticed that the Hollywood Market was open for the first time this season. Yippee! That is a sure sign of Spring. At coffee Sophia sat on my lap a couple times between playing with her buddies. I looked at her and wondered what happened to my baby. She is getting so beautiful and grown up. I really enjoy spending time with her and am so glad that she'll still sit on my lap. When we had finished our coffee we rode back to the market where we walked through just to get the feeling of it. Sophia was my little motor on the hills. I was calling her "Power Legs." She thought that was funny.

When we got home Coulter was in tears. He wanted to go on a bike ride and have lunch with me. We talked, he calmed down and I agreed to take him out on a ride and to lunch. He was very excited and ran and got his dollar so he could buy me lunch. So dang cute.

We went to Foster and Dobbs for lunch and had a fine time. He made conversation with the woman behind the counter and she helped him decide what kind of sandwich to get. Grilled cheese was the decision. We decided to split the sandwich and we each got a beverage, orange San Pellegrino. Yum. Coulter's friend told him that he should wait to pay until after lunch to make sure he liked it. We sat down and had a really sweet conversation. It's fun to share time like this just one on one. The time when I have nothing but time and open ears is so great. He just talked about his school play and was either telling me about a dream or a story he was making up. I don't know. I wasn't paying too much attention to what he was saying I was just looking into his eyes and and taking him in, all of him. My sweet boy so beautiful and innocent. And on top of all that he was buying me lunch. He was very proud of himself.

When he had enough of his sandwich he decided that it was good and that it was worth paying for. He went up to the counter and talked to his friend. He gave her his dollar for which she thanked him. I then went and paid the balance, trying to keep that from him. I bought some special cheese so I think he thought I was paying for that alone.

Next we went and got some mango sorbet. He said I needed to pay for that since he used all his money on lunch. Alright then. He had his sorbet and again filled the air with his words and I just drank him in. It started to rain but we didn't care, "We can just change clothes at home mom." That's my good northwest boy.

Kees gets time each week when the other two are in school so we have our special time then. It is really special to have time with each of the kids on their own. It's hard to get individual time especially when I have a totally free mind and can give them my full attention. Today it all just worked out.

This weekend hasn't been extraordinary by most people's standards but I have really enjoyed being in the moment with and for my kids. Man I love those babies and I am grateful to feel them so deeply in my soul.

No comments: