Sunday, May 31, 2009

Little Boy Kisses




I love little boy kisses and know that they'll come to an end someday in the not too distant future. There are many things that I love about them. I love that they're sweet and usually given with out any provocation. I love that sometimes they're silly and placed on my hip, my butt or any random place on my legs when I am standing. They're still pretty short. I love that they come flying out of nowhere when we're laying in bed snuggling and that they are often accompanied by lots of giggles.

I really love that you can tell exactly what they've been doing by the taste or smell of their kisses. My boys often taste and smell like syrup hours after breakfast on a weekend. Other times it's powdered sugar or cereal. After playing their heads smell of sweet little boy sweat. And peanut-butter can last for hours on their faces. They don't care that their faces are covered in peanut-butter, pizza sauce or dirt. We might say they're dirty, they would just say, "I'm fine mom" and run off after a quick kiss. Many times a little boy kiss is followed by, "I love you mom." And I reply, "I love you too."

In the evening little boy kisses are given at bed time and they smell like fresh babies right out of their bath. They are tired and usually sweet especially if I lay down with them. And one of my favorite kiss stories... One night when I thought Coulter was asleep I went in and kissed him on the cheek. He reached up to his cheek and wiped my kiss off and then put his hand on his chest. I whispered, "Why did you wipe my kiss off?" and he whispered back, "I wipe them off and then I save them in my heart." And then he rolled over went to sleep. It almost dropped me to my knees and still gets me all choked up. Babies say the sweetest things in the most natural way.

So this week I have really enjoyed my little boy kisses. I am drinking in every sweet tasting syrup kiss and savoring the smell of their sweaty heads after playing in the sun. I love my little boys and hope that in years to come when I need to remember exactly what their kisses were like when they were little that this will help me and take me back to this sweet, sweet time.

3 comments:

Laura Lou said...

This post left me crying. I am the same way and just LOVE those little boy moments that are all too fleeting. Your post is poetic and I really would love to print it and keep it in a memory box. You captured my thoughts and feelings so well in your thoughts and feelings. How I don't want my boys to grow up, yet how I do. It really is so bitter-sweet and happy-sad all at the same time. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Becky said...

Loved the "transferring the kiss from cheek to heart" quote. Choked me up too. I can't believe how quickly kids can go from driving you crazy to driving you to tears from wishing they'd stop growing!

(Loved the Iva, bag of sugar, and squirrels story, too. Beegu would be terribly jealous.)

Rebecca said...

My little boy is almost 21. His kisses and hugs have returned, and I am so grateful for each and every one. He is so grown up, yet I see him reflected in the faces of Coulter and Kees. It is universal, I believe!! Little boys cling to, yet move away from, their moms, in order to become MEN. Keep loving and kissing them. They will return, once they have become....MEN.